Fortnite is more than a game to some; it’s like a universe. Joining a squad and not being able to communicate with others is the fastest way to be left out and not experience the joy that comes with playing Fornite.
We understand how terrible this can be for a player, so we took our time to put together many tips on how to solve the problem.
Fortnite Voice Chat Not Working: How to Fix It on You own
Thankfully, we came across some ways of resolving this issue, and several other players have also tried some of these methods and it worked for them. We started with easy methods. And if the problem persists, you can try out our extreme solutions.
1. Check the Epic Games server status
Epic Games has a server status page that will show you if all systems are operational. If the voice chat feature is affected by a system-wide issue or outage, this means the voice chat issue will be fixed when the outage is resolved. All you have to do is to wait.
2. Sign out then sign in again
This is an easy and very quick way to fix the Voice chat on your Fortnite. Once you sign out and then sign in to the game, it should be resolved.
Log in, then start a game and test the Voice chat. If it isn’t working, there are several other fixes for you to try out.
3. Install the Fortnite latest patch
The Fortnite patch you are using might be the reason why your voice chat isn’t working. Thankfully, game patches are frequently released by Fortnite developers to fix bugs issue. You can install a new patch to fix the problem.
If it’s from the Epic Games launcher you’re running your Fortnite, there is a way to go about it so you access the latest Fortnite patch. Follow the instructions below —
- Open the Epic Games Launcher
- Check the left panel and click on library. While on the right panel, check the lower-right corner and click on the gear button.
- You’ll see Auto-update, turn on the toggle beside it
- Exit the Epic Games Launcher, and then open it again
- If Fortnite developers have released a new patch, Epic Games Launcher will detect it, and it will be downloaded automatically and installed when you open Fortnite.
- Check if your voice chat is already working. If it isn’t, or there is no new patch available, you’ll have to try another method.
4. Update your sound card driver
This is the next step available after everything has failed. It is possible your sound card driver is outdated or missing, thereby causing the issue of the Voice chat not working in Fortnite.
You’ll have to update it to the latest version so you can start utilizing Fortnite Voice chat. Moreover, by updating it you’ll get smoother gameplay with fewer errors and issues. You can update your driver manually if you have the patience and skill to that, if not, you’ll have to use Easy Driver to update it.
Easy Driver is easy to use because you don’t need to know the system your computer is running, you won’t experience the risk of downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you won’t need to worry about making a mistake during the installation especially if you’re not very skilled in manually updating drivers.
Follow these steps to update your driver —
- Download and install Driver Easy
- Run it, then click on ‘Scan Now”. It will start scanning your computer to detect any driver problem it might have
- You’ll see “Update” next to the sound card. Click on it to start downloading. After it has finished downloading you’ll install it.
- If you want to download and install all the new versions of all the drivers that are out of date or missing on your system, click on “Update All”, however, this requires you to pay for a pro version.
(If you’re confused and you need assistance, you can contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Once you’ve updated the sound card driver, the voice chat should start working.
6. Reinstall Fortnite
If all the methods for fixing the Voice chat on Fortnite doesn’t resolve the problem, the next step is to try reinstalling your Fortnite. Here is how you should reinstall it.
- Open Epic Games Launcher. Click on the left panel, then click on “Library’. On the lower-right corner of Fortnite, you’ll see “gear”, click on it.
- Click on “uninstall Fortnite” or “uninstall”
- Restart your PC
- Open Epic Games Launcher again, then download and install Fortnite.
- After installing it, run Fortnite, then join a squad to confirm if the voice chat is now working.
Additional Tips for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Users…
If you’re using a PlayStation or Xbox One to play Fortnite, first check your audio settings and check if the Voice Chat option is on, then make sure the Voice Chat Method is “open mic”. Other features to check are — Voice channel (it should be “Party”) and the Voice Chat notifications should be on.
Now, you can create a party. Afterward, set the Voice chat to off, then save the changes.
After saving it, leave the party and go back to the audio setting, switch on the Voice Chat feature again. Now, the issue should be resolved.
Additional Tips for PC Users…
If it’s from the Microsoft Store that you downloaded Fortnite, you’ll need to check if your Fortnite has access to use your microphone.
Go to the settings of your Windows, then click on “Privacy” >> Click on “Microphone” which is usually at the left panel, and make sure its access to your PC is on, and check if it’s also “On” for Fortnite.
Now run Fortnite to see if it now works.
However, if your Fortnite isn’t still working, there are four other methods you can try out. You can start with the first, and then keep on proceeding till you get to the last method which is a little bit extreme.
- Sign out then sign back in
- Install Fortnite latest patch
- Update your sound card driver
- Reinstall Fortnite
All these methods will resolve the problem, especially if you have been using voice chat before. However, if none of these works, you can check out Epic Games technical support page. They have other solutions to this problem, such as opening required network ports, Xbox troubleshooting, PlayStation troubleshooting, Nintendo Switch troubleshooting, PC troubleshooting, Mac troubleshooting, adjusting the SIP-ALG router setting, and so on.