This is an issue caused by certain settings on your Fortnite account. It’s not an issue caused by Fortnite servers, except they make an announcement stating it is a glitch from their own end. Nevertheless, you can solve this problem by just changing some settings.
One of the simplest things you can do is to log out and log in again to your Epic Games account. This sometimes solves the problem because it might be a connection problem you encountered.
Before we show you the other solutions available, you need to know the reasons why this is happening; and once you determine this, it’s easier to find the perfect solution.
Why Fortnite friend requests are not accepted
The major reason you are unable to send or receive friend invites is that you’re sending a friend request to an account that has reached the 500 limits (this is the incoming friend request limit of an account). It might also be that the account you’re sending a friend request to has set up the auto-decline feature, so you can’t send out a friend request to the person.
In other cases, it might be that you have 500 or more pending friend requests you sent out. If this is the case, then friend requests won’t be sent. What you have to do is delete all pending friend requests on your account. If the incoming friend requests are getting numerous, you can simply turn on the auto-decline feature.
Another reason why this isn’t working is because of your network connection. You must have a reliable network connection when you’re sending a friend request to another player. Restarting your modem or router can do the trick if you haven’t done that in a while. You can also reduce the number of devices that are connected to your network, or you can use a hardwired (Ethernet) connection when you’re sending out friend requests.
How to switch off the auto-decline feature
To disable these features, follow the steps below —
- Go to Fortnite and open the main menu.
- Click on the Settings option, then find the Account and Privacy tab and click on it.
- A Social header will appear, find the Auto Decline Friend Requests option.
- If it is set to Yes, you should switch it to No so that you can manually accept and decline friend requests
If you’re using an Xbox One, you might experience the same issues. You’ll have to edit your communication so your friends or everybody can send you a friend request. Follow the steps below to change the communication settings –
- Press the Xbox icon. A menu will appear.
- Scroll down until you get to Settings. Click on it, and a new menu will appear.
- Click on Privacy. Different privacy settings will appear.
- The privacy setting is usually at Custom. Leave it alone. Then scroll down to Communication and Multiplayer, click on it. A new menu will appear.
- Go to the second option.
- There are three configurations you can set it to “Everyone”, “Friends”, “Only me”. Select Everyone so anyone can have access to you.
It is necessary that you verify the e-mail you used in registering for Fortnite. During registration, they will send you a mail asking you to verify your e-mail, make sure you do, because Epic Games will send important information to you from time to time. Concerning the issue of Fortnite not accepting friend requests, you won’t have to worry because they would have sent you info about a potential account ban, as this may be the reason why you’re unable to send friend requests.
If the issue persists, which is unlikely, you’ll have to contact Epic Games to look into the matter for you.